When it comes to traveling, the most important thing is being flexible. You can save a lot of money by slightly changing things about your ideal travel. That might be as extreme as changing your entire destination, possibly changing the airline that you fly or it might be as subtle as changing the service you use to book your travel.
When it comes to getting the best air travel, I look at the following ways to reduce costs:
- Flexibility of dates and times
- Try flying out of alternate airports
- Look at carrier specific discounts
- Compare prices from different booking sources
- Investigate mileage redemption options and credit card point redemptions
See my articles for specific details on how to lower your airfare:
Booking a Flight – Things to Consider
When it comes to booking a hotel, there is even more value to being flexible.
Priceline and Hotwire are great booking engines when you are flexible, as you can have the hotels fight for your business. Hotels.com is great if you need to book a specific hotel.
See my articles for specific details:
- Priceline Bidding:
- Booking a hotel with Hotwire
- Booking a specific hotel (Hotels.com)
Booking a car rental can be give the most benefit from scouring the web for discounts.
I look at CarRentals.com with my preferred dates and location and that gives me a good idea of the rates. I then find the best discounts available by searching the web for coupons at the cheapest agency that is acceptable.